Thousands of dog owners are suffering serious hand injuries because they're holding their pet's lead wrong.
Doctors from the British Society for Surgery of the Hand are warning people about the dangers after a huge number of nasty fractures, dislocations and even cases of 'degloving' – when when the skin is completely ripped off.
Dog owners should refrain from wrapping the lead around their wrist, hand or fingers as sudden movement could cause a lot of damage.
They should also avoid hooking their fingers under the collar.
Last year there were 30 serious hand injuries from dog leads in Cornwall alone, including 65-year-old Jillian Tisdale.
While out on a walk her retrievers got distracted by another dog and ran off while still on the lead.
It wrapped so tightly around her middle fingers that it 'degloved' her finger.
She also dislocated her index finger.
She told the BBC she was in "terrible pain".
She said: "I've fortunately regained the full use of my hand – so I can enjoy playing with my grandchildren, as well as hobbies including diving, mountain climbing, and even dog-walking again."
Consultant surgeon Rebecca Dunlop, of the British Society for Surgery of the Hand, told MailOnline: "Having seen many serious injuries caused by dog leads and collars, I want dog lovers to be aware of the simple steps they can take to avoid severe damage to their hand.
"Hand injuries can be very costly for patients and the NHS – especially through time off work and medical cost.
"We want to ensure that dog owners are able to carry on enjoying time with their dogs without risking damage to their hand and time in hospital."
Source: Read Full Article