Food writer Alison Roman confirmed she’s leaving The New York Times for good months after controversy led to her hiatus

alison roman

  • Food writer Alison Roman confirmed via Instagram on Wednesday that she won't be returning to her post at The New York Times.
  • The columnist and cookbook author was at the center of controversy in May when she criticized Chrissy Teigen's and Marie Kondo's business practices in an interview. 
  • When the columnist announced her new venture A Newsletter at the end of May, The Times confirmed to Insider that Roman was on a temporary hiatus and, at the time, planned to return. 
  • Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.

Food writer Alison Roman, who was at the center of controversy over her comments about Chrissy Teigen and Marie Kondo's businesses earlier this year, has announced that she's leaving The New York Times for good. 

After more than seven months on hiatus from the legacy paper, the best-selling cookbook author made her departure official and shared the news with her followers on Instagram on Wednesday. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI3m4XNBwNQ

Roman buried the announcement toward the bottom of a lengthy caption about how much she appreciates everyone who made her shallot pasta recipe this year. 

After reflecting on the significance of her recipe, which was published in January and became the number one recipe on NYT Cooking this year, she wrote: "Anyway! Feels like a good time to formally mention I won't be returning to NYT Cooking. I'm proud of the work we made together but excited for this new chapter which includes more recipes, videos, and writing over on A Newsletter and beyond."

Roman's hiatus began after she came under fire for criticizing Chrissy Teigen and Marie Kondo's business strategies in a May 7 interview with The New Consumer. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAqHK3uh4a3

After May reports from Page Six and The Hill said Roman was out at The Times, the legacy newspaper confirmed to Insider via email that Roman was on hiatus and planned to return. 

"It was always the plan for Alison's leave to be temporary," a representative for the publication told Insider at the time. "Her column will return." They declined to comment further when asked about a return date. 

The 35-year-old cook confirmed the split herself on Wednesday and said fans can still follow her cooking through her newsletter cheekily called A Newsletter. 

"Alison decided to move on from The Times and we're very thankful for her work with us," a representative for the publication told Insider via email Thursday.

Source: Read Full Article