FYI, Expired Pancake Mix Can Kill You, So Check Your Boxes

Stuff can sit in the back of your pantry for way too long. And while it can be hard to know if you should toss or use certain items, when it comes to that box of pancake mix, you should toss it (especially if it’s open). Technically, it can kill you, but only if you’re allergic to mold.

A study published in the American Journal of Forensic Medical Pathology detailed the death of a 19-year-old male who ate pancakes from an opened pancake mix that was two years old. After eating two pancakes, he went into anaphylaxis (unable to breathe) and died. Later, it was revealed that the pancake mix contained high amounts of different types of mold (including penicillin) that he had severe allergies to.

Source: Read Full Article