When it comes to Christmas dinner accompaniments, red cabbage is a firm favourite.
In fact, red cabbage is BBC Food’s most popular Christmas recipe. The seasonal side dish was the most-viewed BBC Food recipe across Christmas Eve and Christmas Day in 2019 – even beating turkey and roast potatoes.
Perhaps you’re looking to give it a go this year, or are looking for a new variation on the classic? We have just the thing to satisfy your cravings from a Michelin-starred chef.
The best part is that the recipe is incredibly simple, as most of the hard work is done in a simmering saucepan. The only real effort required is shredding some ingredients beforehand.
Luke Tipping, chef director at Simpsons in Birmingham, has shared his spiced red cabbage, with apples and chestnuts recipe below.
- 1 red cabbage finely shredded
- 1 large onion finely shredded
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cardamom pods peeled and crushed
- 200ml red wine
- 200ml dry cider
- 50g golden caster sugar
- 100ml red wine vinegar
- 1 large cooking apple peeled and chopped
- 50g sultanas
- 100g vacuum packed chestnuts
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan and add cinnamon and cardamom pods.
2. Fry for 2 mins over moderate heat, add the sugar and dissolve.
3. Pour in red wine vinegar and red wine bring to a boil.
4. Add onion, red cabbage, apple and sultanas, bring back to the boil.
5. Stir well and cover with a tight fitting lid or foil.
6. Lower the heat and cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours stirring occasionally.
7. Once cooked remove the lid and stir in the chestnuts .
8. Season with salt and black pepper.
Do you have a story to share?
Get in touch at [email protected]
Source: Read Full Article