Alesha MacPhail’s mum’s warning as teen who murdered daughter has sentence cut

Alesha MacPhail's mum has warned the teen who raped and murdered her daughter will kill again.

Georgina Lochrane hit out after Aaron Campbell had his sentence reduced from 27 years to 24 for the attack on the Isle of Bute last summer.

It now means vile Campbell, 17, could be considered for release when he turns 40.

Georgina, 24, told the Daily Record the teen had succeeded in “playing the system”.

She said she fears for the next generation of children who will be at risk when he is released back into society.

The mum added she would use victim support protection to shield her daughter Courtney, five, from harm when the brute makes his bid for freedom.

She said: “I’m worried for the future generations of children who will be running about when he gets out. He’s a danger to children and he’s always going to be.

“Courtney will be 29 when his time is up. When Alesha died we were sent away for a while and I lasted one day because I was so paranoid he would break out of jail and come and take Courtney.

“He’s the worst of the worst and they’ve caught him on his first kill. We could be sitting here with ten children dead if they hadn’t caught him – and I don’t think he would have stopped until he was caught.”

At the Court of Criminal Appeal in Edinburgh, Campbell’s lawyers said the day may never come when he is safe to be released.

But they argued the sentence imposed on him was “excessive and amounts to a miscarriage of justice” as he was just 16 when he committed the crime.

They used the case of Luke Mitchell, who murdered his girlfriend Jodi Jones when he was 14, to back up their bid.

In a written judgment, three appeal judges agreed the sentence imposed was excessive but the harrowing 21-page document gave a horrifying insight into the mind of the schoolboy from a small island who committed one of worst crimes in Scottish history.

Campbell was 16 when he abducted Alesha from her bed at her grandparents’ home on Bute on July 2 last year.

The schoolgirl, from Airdrie, had been staying on the island with her dad for the start of the summer holidays.

After sneaking into the attic flat with the intention of robbing Alesha’s dad of cannabis, Campbell found Alesha sleeping and carried her to woods, where he raped, strangled and suffocated her.

He left her naked body, which had 117 injuries, to be discovered by a member of a search party the next morning and set about trying to cover up his brutal crime.

Source: Read Full Article