Millions won't have to pay key household bill for February and March – are you eligible? | The Sun

MILLIONS won't have to pay a key household bill this month and into March.

This is because council tax is usually paid over a period of 10 months instead of 12.

If you do pay your council tax in 10 instalments you'll be rewarded with 60 days where you don't need to fork out.

This 60-day period falls in February and March.

To find out if you pay in this way – check your latest council tax bill.

Your bill will tell you exactly how much you have to pay across the year.

Read more in money

Major fashion retailer launches huge closing down sale before stores disappear

Major change makes it easier for 850,000 to get £3,500 income boost

It will also tell you how your council tax is worked out and the specific dates you have to pay.

But while many households will get a temporary payment break council tax bills are set to rise in April.

Local authorities across the country are preparing to increase taxes by up to 10% from April.

But it will pile extra pressure on household finances as people struggle with the rising cost of living.

Most read in Money


Major fashion retailer launches huge closing down sale before stores disappear


Full list of shops, pubs and banks closing this year – is yours affected?

Closing down

Popular fashion retailer to disappear off the high street and shut 170 shops


Major pharmacy chain to close branches this spring

We've already listed 13 councils that are considering hiking council tax for households in the next financial year.

But the temporary payment break in February and March doesn't affect every household.

Households can opt to pay their council tax over 12 months – as a means to help see their monthly outgoings reduced.

Of course, the amount you are paying overall stays the same, but by splitting the amount between 12 months instead of 10, you'll continue paying the remainder of what's owed until April.

If you think you can benefit from more regular council tax payments we've explained how you can change your payment schedule below.

How do I change the way I pay council tax?

If you'd like to change to pay for your council tax across 12 months instead of 10, you should contact your local council.

They should be able to set up a new payment schedule for you.

If you don't know what council area you fall under, you can use the Gov.UK council locator tool.

You might even have the option to pay twice a year, every two weeks or as a lump sum once a year as well.

But of course, what your options are will depend on where you live.

How can I get a council tax discount?

It's worth checking whether you're eligible for a council tax discount.

Some people can even get a full exemption, meaning they don't have to pay any council tax at all.

For example, students don't have to pay any council tax.

People living on their own get a 25% discount and some pensioners are completely exempt.

If you're on a low income you could be entitled to a discount on your bill.

If you are struggling to pay, you should contact your council as soon as possible.

You can apply for a reduction through the government website.

You'll need to have your national insurance number, bank statements, a recent payslip or letter from the Jobcentre, and a passport or driving licence to hand.

If there are other adults in the household, you might need the same information for them too.

Read More on The Sun

Woman’s dad converted the garage into a studio flat so she’d have her own space

Thousands missing out on up to £442 in free food vouchers – can you claim?

Check with your local council for specific details on these discounts.

Source: Read Full Article