A TOURIST was disgusted after finding two flies baked into his breakfast roll, which he bought at Dublin Airport.
Martin Warde, an Irish comedian, bought the baguette at terminal 1 while rushing to catch a bus.
While sharing the picture on Twitter, he wrote: "Just bought this breakfast roll in the shop at terminal 1 at @DublinAirport.
"Why are there two weird looking insects stuck to it? F*****g disgusting."
After being asked if he took it back, he explained: "I was rushing to get the 9:15am citylink to Galway and I was buying it at 9:13am. I rushed to the bus before opening the packet."
Social media users reacted to the disgusting sight with humour.
One person wrote: "Free extra protein."
Another remarked: "It's one of your 5 a day."
Some were more positive: "Cut the end off you’ll be grand."
How the bugs ended up embedded in the bread roll was open to interpretation.
One person said it looked like "someone used the bread roll to whack the flies dead as they walked along the counter top".
Martin later joked that he "ate them" as he was on a "protein rich diet".
A spokesperson for Dublin Airport told Sun Online Travel: "We have contacted Mr Warde, apologised for the unacceptable experience that he had at one of the food outlets here, and sought further information from him to help us investigate the issue.
"We have raised the issue with the company that operates the outlet in question and it has also apologised to Mr Warde directly.
"The company has confirmed that the issue did not arise within its Dublin Airport outlet, as its bread rolls are sourced externally.
"The company is investigating this incident with its supplier and will report back to Mr Warde and to Dublin Airport officials in due course.
"Last year 31.5 million passengers used Dublin Airport and there are also about 19,000 people who work on the airport campus.
"Given the number of food items purchased and consumed at the airport campus daily, the number of food safety complaints that are received each year is miniscule.
"However, we take all complaints of this nature very seriously, and all of the firms that operate food outlets on the airport campus have to abide by all applicable national and EU food safety regulations at all times."
It isn't the first insect to be found in food – a passenger found a live maggot in his meal during a flight.
Despite flying in first class, the horrified traveller was offered less than £40 in compensation after finding the bug in his food.
Another traveller was recently served a mouldy tomato as part of her in-flight meal.
Source: Read Full Article