What to do if you lose your passport while on holiday and how much it costs to get a new one – The Sun | The Sun

LOSING your passport abroad is one of the worst things to happen while on holiday.

Here is everything you need to know about what to do and how much it costs.

What do you do and how much does it cost?

If you are a British national and are outside the UK when you lose your passport you can get an emergency travel document issued.

It is also called an “emergency passport”.

You can apply for one here and it costs £100, which his non-refundable.

You may need to attend an appointment at your nearest British embassy, high commission or consulate after you apply online.

You will be told once you’ve submitted your application if you need an appointment.

The emergency passport can also be applied for in person to your nearest embassy, high commission or consulate.

It takes around two days to get the new passport.



I'm a flight attendant – why window blinds must be open for take-off and landing


Flight warning as TWO more airlines threaten strikes this summer


Man shames upgraded girlfriend for leaving him in economy – but people are split


Pontins has breaks from £4pp a night during the school summer holidays

What do you bring if you have an appointment?

  • Completed emergency travel document form
  • A recent photograph of yourself
  • Proof of your travel plans (eg. Booking confirmation)
  • A police report if your passport was stolen

What does the emergency passport let you do?

You can use it to travel to your destination through a maximum of five countries.

Your travel plans, which include countries and dates, will be printed on your emergency travel document.

If your travel plans change after you have received your document you need to apply for a new one.

If your final destination is the UK, then the border staff will keep your emergency passport when you arrive.


Source: Read Full Article